A nonprofit organization called the Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute (CMRPI) spells out many of the well-documented negative consequences of child sexual abuse. These negative consequences include "difficulty in forming long-term relationships; sexual risk-taking that may lead to contracting sexually transmitted diseases, including AIDS; physical complaints and physical symptoms; depression, suicidal thoughts and suicide; [and] increases in illnesses, hospitalizations and early deaths."
If this list sounds familiar, it may be because of child molestation that you endured as a child. If you recall your own molestation as a child, you may bring a claim for compensation against a priest, rabbi, teacher, counselor or other person who abused you, even years after the fact.
Or you may suspect that your son or daughter is being molested or has been molested, and wonder what to do next. First of all, you will no doubt want to take action to ensure that the molestation stops. Your next step may be to report the molestation to the police. Finally, you may decide to bring an injury claim or lawsuit on behalf of your child.
How do you know if molestation has taken place recently? You suspect that someone has molested your child recently after noticing signs such as:
- Sudden changes in behavior
- Display of emotional extremes such as anxiety or passivity
- Learning problems at school
- An aversion to a place where abuse has taken place, such as school, home, church or the home of a friend or relative
- Unexplained injuries or abnormal conditions such as rashes
- Difficulty walking, sitting or standing still
- Nightmares or bed wetting
- Changes in appetite or sleep patterns
- Explicit reports of sexual abuse
Contact an Illinois Attorney to Discuss Your Legal Options in a Child Molestation Case
The lawyers of Klest Injury Law Firm, with offices in Chicago and Schaumburg, have the experience and resources to take action against your abuser. Attorney Joe Klest has represented more than 500 people in sexual abuse civil suits. When you are ready to come forward, our law firm is ready to listen. Contact our law firm to schedule a free initial consultation.