Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer
Nursing homes have an obligation to provide care and protection to their residents. Unfortunately, nursing homes can fail in fulfilling these obligations. It is important for you to know what to do if you suspect that a loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse and neglect.
The most important thing that you can do to protect a family member is to contact Klest Injury Law Firm. With offices in Chicago, Schaumburg, and Oak Brook, Illinois, we fight for the rights of nursing home patients throughout the greater Chicago area. Sit down with us for a free initial consultation to determine if you have a case.
Besides contacting attorney Joseph Klest, here are some crucial actions you can take to prevent nursing home abuse and neglect:
- Make frequent unannounced visits. This will catch the staff off guard and allow you to see what occurs at the home.
- If an injury or incident occurs, talk to all nurses, staff members, and doctors who care for your loved one to determine their sides of the story.
- Ask to see a copy of any incident reports and medical care plans.
- Document any suspicion activity to ensure that there is some form of medical report of the incident.
- Consider moving your family member out of the nursing home if you suspect abuse or neglect.
Nursing home staff members may say there was nothing that they could have done to prevent the injury or death of your loved one. Accidents do occur, especially to the elderly and disabled; however, you should have us investigate the incident thoroughly before coming to that conclusion.
Sometimes, in order to avoid liability, nursing homes place the blame on a person's age and medical condition. However, regardless of a person's age or health, he or she still deserves proper care and treatment and the right to be free from verbal, physical, mental, and emotional abuse and neglect.
If you suspect your loved one was the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, contact Klest Injury Law Firm. We represent clients in Chicago, Schaumburg, Oak Brook, and throughout the Chicagoland area.