What to Watch Out for to Protect a Loved One
If you suspect your loved one has fallen victim to nursing home abuse and neglect, contact attorney Joseph Klest for a free initial consultation. We will investigate the care of loved ones ensuring they receive proper care and treatment. If there has been an inexcusable injury, we will hold those responsible people liable.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing Home Neglect
Nursing home neglect occurs when a nursing home fails to provide items or supervision necessary for safe and healthy daily living and medical care. Common signs of neglect include:
- Lack of the proper amounts of food or water
- Bedsores and other skin infections
- Poor personal hygiene and a lack of basic provisions
- Facilities that are poorly maintained
- Lack of health care access
- Inadequate protections against safety hazards
- Poor supervision that allows elopement
Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse is a situation where a person is physically and/or mentally taken advantage of by another person. Signs of abuse include:
- Altercations causing death or serious injuries
- Bruises occurring in patterns that suggest sexual assault
- Broken bones, fractures, or head injuries
- Black eyes, welts, lacerations, open wounds, and untreated injuries
- Burns on hands, feet, and buttocks
- Emotional withdrawal and substitution for prescribed medications
Family members need to be protected when they are living in nursing homes. If you know the signs of nursing home abuse and neglect, you can help prevent injury to a parent or grandparent.
To learn more, contact lawyer Joseph Klest for a free initial consultation. We counsel clients in Chicago, Schaumburg, and throughout the Chicagoland area about the signs of nursing home abuse or neglect.